There are two ways to assign IP address to Systems, One is Dynamic IP address and the other one is static IP address, it is like automatic and manual mode of assigning the IP address. Dynamic is like automatic and Static is like Manual mode. And one more difference is there Dynamic address can change frequently depends on the availability, But Static doesn’t change it is constant. Nowadays there are lot of devices connect to the internet like Phones, laptops, Desktops, switches Routers etc. Assigning Static IP address to all the devices manually is not possible. That’s where the DHCP comes into Place, DHCP server assign IP address to all the system automatically, SO if DHCP is that much helpful why we have to assign static IP address. Mostly network engineers use this static IP address to troubleshoot the networking devices and connection. And also Using Static IP address we can easily manage home network. Like sharing files through network from one computer to another. And to configure printer through network. This guide will help you to Assign Static IP Address in different methods.
There are Four methods to assign static IP address
- Using Windows Setting
- Using control Panel
- Using Power shell
- Using Command Prompt
So Without wasting any time we will dig into these methods.
1. Using Windows Setting
- Click on setting icon from the start menu.
- Choose the Network and Internet tab.
- You can choose Wi-Fi current connection, the network which you connected with.
- Click on IP settings section and hit edit to change the IP address.
- Once the Edit IP setting pops up choose the manual and select the IP address version to IPv4
- Now you can set the IP address, Subnet mask and Default gateway.
- Then Give Ok.
2. Using control Panel
- Open Run command by pressing windows + R and type control, this will open the control panel.
- And search for network and sharing Center and open it.
- From left hand side you can see the change adapter setting, click on it from the separate panel you can see the available network connections
- Select Ethernet and right click on Ethernet or Local area connection which is currently available.
- And choose properties now you will get the Ethernet properties
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click on properties. Now you will get another Pop up window.
- In that you can assign the IP address. Click on use the following IP address.
- Give IP address, Subnet mask, Default Gateway.
- In section you have to give DNS address, Find more about DNS address.
- And give OK.
3. Using Power shell
- Go to search and Open PowerShell as a admin mode.
- Now Type the following command in the PowerShell
- This command will display the current network IP configuration. The below mentioned Four parameters are very important, to set a static IP address using PowerShell. Note down the values whatever you got from the Get-NetIPConfiguration
This cmdlet user to set name of the network adapter for example currently Ethernet is the InterfaceAlias name and if you want to change that name type New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias Ethernet 2 And hit enter.
As per Cisco an interface index Number is the unique identifying number for a Physical or logical network device.
I think everyone knows what is IPv4 address, Type what static IP address you need to set.
Type the default Gateway address
Then the final to set is DNS server IP.
- Now type the below mentioned command to set the static IP.
C:\Windows\system32> New-NetIPAddress -InterfaceAlias Ethernet3 -IPAddress 192.168.11.24 -PrefixLength 14 -DefaultGateway 192.168.11.2
- We have set the IPv4 Network IP address but we can’t set the DNS address using above mentioned address, Type the following command to set the DNS server address.
PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-DnsClientServerAddress -InterfaceIndex 4 -ServerAddresses 18.104.22.168
4. Using Command prompt
Last but not least. Command prompt is an olden but golden tool to do lot of useful stuffs, so this post concern to change the Static IP address.
- Open command Prompt as Run as admin.
- Type Netsh and hit enter
- Then type interface ip show config
- This command will show the current network IP Configuration.
- Now set the IP address using the following command
Interface ip set address name=”Local Area Connection” static 192.168.11.24 255.255.255.0 192.168.11.2
- And to set the Dns server address type the following command.
Interface ip set dns “Local Area Connection” static 22.214.171.124
Try these methods and comment below if you got any doubt.